Wednesday, March 02, 2005

An Usher's Job is Never Done

We have all done it. We have all been at a professional sporting event and spotted better seats. Naturally we think we can just move on to those better seats. When I was a kid, it was so easy to do at the old stadium during Indians games. At that point in Tribe history they stopped checking tickets after batting practice.
On Monday night my father and I tried to get down to the lower section in Gund Arena to sit closer to my brother. I should have known by the way the gentleman next to my father looked at us we had probably snuck down into the wrong seats. I believe his exact words to my father were: “I can’t believe they are going to let you sit in the owner’s seats.” They didn’t. We saw action from those seats for about two minutes before the Usher came and told us we obviously could not sit in the seats right in front of Jim Paxson.

I will admit this would have been the best night of the season to sit in the owner’s seats considering ownership had officially been turned over earlier in the day to Dan Gilbert. Oh yes and Usher, lets not forget Usher is now officially a part-owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Yes, that’s right-Usher is a part-owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Cleveland, Usher. Cleveland, Usher. Cleveland, Usher. Those two words don’t even go together in the same sentence. Yet, here he is saying “I look for Cleveland to be my home away from home.” People who live here don’t even want Cleveland to be their home away from home, yet here is the most celebrated artist from this year’s Grammys throwing some serious money toward Cleveland’s commerce. Hmmm….wonder if this has anything to do with LeBron? I don’t recall Snoop Dogg trying to get part ownership three years ago when Bimbo Coles, Ricky Davis and Dajuan Wagner were feeding the ball to Darius Miles Tyrone Hill and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

No comments: