Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Are You There God, Its Me Michele

I have been involved in several religious experiences the past couple weeks. I have never been a very religious person and I have always said that is a good thing, at least for me. I think the last time I prayed to God was when I was at the free throw line in high school. I then realized if the only time I was going to call upon him was when I was in the batter's box or at the free throw line then I probably wasn't a true believer. However, I have found that I have made a call out to the big guy on two different occassions recently and now I have started rethinking my whole agnostic stand.

Three weeks ago I was in the dressing room at Syms, trying on a pair of pants I knew would be too small but it was the only pair they had. As I began to pull them up, I started thinking, oh please if only these would fit, oh please, please God. I stopped right then and there. Did I just think: oh please, please God? I couldn't believe I had just thought that. Here I was finding my religion in the Syms dressing room. After fifteen years and all this time my Christian ways still existed on Wilson Mills Road in Mayfield Heights. This morning I had a similar experience at work checking prices on airline tickets (what else would I be doing, work? ha, yeah right). As I sat there during that moment between pressing enter and waiting for the prices to come up, I said oh please God, just find us something under $140 for the days we want and the times we want. I mean the guy did create the world in seven days, this didn't seem like that big of a deal really.

We did get the tickets we wanted but I didn't get the pants, so I guess I am batting .500 with God. (There's a statement you don't hear a whole lot.) However I think I am just going to say it has to do with my karma and leave it at that. I don't think getting the airline tickets I wanted is enough to send me back to church. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm batting .322 lifetime against the big G, with 14 RBIs, and 3 HR. But, he's struck me out at least 15 times. You gotta watch his splitter. It's hardcore tough. But, his curveball tends to be a little flat, and usually lands right in my wheelhouse.