Thursday, March 24, 2005

Closer to Fine

I am excited to say that tonight I am going to the Indigo Girls concert. The Indigo Girls are a band I have followed since 1992 and yet I feel as if they have followed me through most of my life. Many major events in my life are integrated with an Indigo Girls song because they were there with me during what I consider to be my formative years (18-25). To me the Indigo Girls are: my first real concert, my first real everything, rainy nights in the Flats at Nautica, cold winter drives from Cleveland to Columbus, beautiful summer drives from Columbus to Athens, waiting in line for front row tickets my first year in college, men grasping their girlfriends hands for dear life, campfire-like sing-alongs, Amy and Emily laughing at one another on stage, my friend Brandi turning to me at my first concert and noticing my eyes so big from wonderment, fights with my friends over Amy vs. Emily’s musical talents, the camaraderie shared during each of their songs with a beer at the end of one arm and your other arm around your best friend.

Like the first concert I was able to go to in high school, this concert will also be free. My friend Vicki was nice enough to invite Liz and I along for a birthday surprise for our friend Kate. I haven’t been to a show since Mindy and I decided to go see them at the last minute (as usual with our comings and goings) at the Agora a few years back. If I had to guess I would say I have seen them ten times in various venues and setups but tonight will be different because I will be going with Liz. It will be her first Indigo Girls concert and I feel like she is about to enter a part of my life I have yet to share with her. In many ways I have grown up without them over the past couple years, which is unfortunate. Yet today I count down the hours until I see them on stage, just like I used to ten years ago. I am feeling like a little kid chomping at the bit to be a part of all that is the Indigo Girls and I can't wait to share this experience with the person I share my life with on a daily basis.

No comments: