Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Wired

Last night I was sitting outside enjoying a wonderful evening with a friend talking about the people who come in and out of our lives when we seem to need them the most. She turned to me and said we are all like the telephone and electric wires running above our heads. Sometimes our lines cross and we give each other energy and other times our lines run away from one another but that energy is always there…somewhere. Over the past couple weeks I have been reminded of how people have entered my life at certain times and why I needed them then (or now) as opposed to any other time in my life.

Last week I was having lunch with someone who has become a really good friend of mine over the past couple months and we realized we were at the same party together two years ago. For whatever reason, we were not introduced. When we finally did get the chance to meet in March, the timing couldn’t have been better and I appreciate her friendship so much more now than I would have two years ago.

Saturday I was sitting in a grandstand watching a friend of mine perform with her band. As I looked around I saw ten people scattered about in different groups. Ten people I used to hang out with every week like clockwork, acting crazy and being silly and creating a bond that will last forever. Now however we have all gone our own way. It was probably the first time we have all been together in over a year. It was great to see each other and feel that energy again, but it was also amazing to see how much we have all grown in the past two years. We all needed each other at one point and we took that energy and grew with it.

On that same day I was sitting next to someone I have been hanging out with a lot lately. Someone I met almost ten years ago, but only began talking to over the past month. Someone who has brought an incredible amount of energy into my life when I didn’t even know I needed it.

I think about my best friend and how I have known her since high school. How much our relationship has changed and evolved and how we always seemed to re-connect when we needed it the most. There would be years we would hardly even talk and then months at a time where we would spend every second together. Now I can’t imagine my life without the energy she brings to it.

Think about the people in your life. Why did they come into your life when they did? Is their energy still there even if they are not? I feel incredibly lucky and blessed when I think about the people who have come into my life when I needed them the most, even though I may not have known it at the time. Our wires will always be crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've gone cellular, and I'm only connecting on non-peak hours. In other words, I don't really have a lot of actual, factual, flesh-and-blood people that I could even consider a friend. Sometimes, it's nice, but, other times I really just want some people to hang out with.

But, until I get over this incredible shyness, it's not going to happen any time soon.