Monday, February 07, 2005

The Beginning

I can't believe I am doing this. I can't believe I actually have a blog or at least the beginnings of one. I guess I just think I spend a lot of this time of year reflecting and now these reflections have led to this brainchild. I read an article just a couple weeks ago that said January 24th is considered the saddest day of the year due to the winter and a lack of follow through with New Years Resolutions. This blog is inspired by what I usually consider to be my saddest day of the year: the day after the Super Bowl.

I guess they try to prepare you for it with the two week hiatus in between the conference championship game and the big game but that really doesn't help. Now I am stuck in between this time of the Super Bowl and the beginning of March Madness. If only I could get into Arena Football or regular-season college basketball games. I mean seriously...Arena Football...I wouldn't care if Jon Bon Jovi and Jon Elway actually played on the teams they owned, its just not the same. The regular season in college basketball is just like one long pre-season. Do these games really matter? If a team enters the tournament in March with two losses or seven losses, does it make them less of a team? (Unless of course your team is from the Mid-American Conference and you watch yet another team not get an at-large bid, but more on that when I write about the "mid-major" athletic program.)

So now I am stuck in this time period without a name. All the millions of crafty sports writers and I still haven't come across a name for this time of year. Hello Bill Simmons? Excuse me Don Banks? Hey Steve Rushin? Can anyone hear me? I suppose it is this lack of a label that has drawn me to creating this blog. I want this space to be fun. I will introduce you to myself and share the daily comings and goings of my life with you but I will always try to integrate some good tidbits on the sports world. I think it was what I was meant to do. I have a degree in journalism and a Master's degree in Athletic Administration, yet I don't currently work in either of those fields. Obviously I need some sort of an outlet or I may explode. Thank you for patronizing me and sharing this outlet with me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MRL
this rocks
loveya
shawnieC