Thursday, February 17, 2005

What the Heck am I Eating?

On Sunday my parents came up to Ohio City for lunch. They wanted something simple like a burger but unfortunately Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings are a hard time to get something fun to eat in Ohio City. I wanted to take them to the Old Angle but it wasn’t open yet and the Flying Fig was closed. This left me with Heck’s.

For those of you not familiar with Heck’s, people drive into Ohio City just to get a burger at this place. As we walked there, my mother noticed I only lived a block away and she asked if I went there all the time. I said actually we don’t really care for the place and contrary to popular belief, it’s the third best burger on the block. Every year, the annual awards come out for best burger in Cleveland and every year Heck’s wins this award. Is this one of those awards that just keeps going to the same place because of the name and how long the restaurant has been there? To get the best burger in Ohio City, you must go to the Flying Fig for happy hour (Tuesday through Thursday until 7:30). The burger there is incomparable. A very healthy serving of beef, cooked exactly the way you want it, topped with a mound of blue cheese, sitting on top of bacon and carmelized onions. During happy hour, this burger is less than five dollars and worth every single penny. Can’t make it to the Flying Fig in time for happy hour? Walk down to the Old Angle. A very similar burger, sans the bacon. We have walked through snow and freezing rain for this burger when we had plenty of food at our house. . Can’t make it to these three places? Then I would personally recommend the hot dog stand on Randall and Lorain but Heck’s is always a viable choice as well.

Speaking of burgers….when did McDonalds become party food and brain food? They advertised their McDonalds fish sandwich as brain food this morning. “Studying late? Get some brain food with the fish filet at McDonalds.” This doesn’t make me chuckle as much as the guys who go out and get Chicken McNuggets for their rockin party. If I walked into a party and saw McNuggets, I would do a double take especially if they also had quarter pounders as an appetizer like the other commercial. If there is one thing I feel like doing after eating a quarter pounder, its gotta be dancing and mingling, though usually I just lay down with a stomach ache.

No comments: