Thursday, December 08, 2005

They Don’t Call It Maid Of Honor For Nothing

Many of you know my best friend is getting married next month. What you may not know is that I am the maid of honor and all the bridesmaids rolled into one as both my friends will only have one attendant. I can pretty much guarantee this will probably be my first and only time as a maid of honor and I am both honored and a little scared.

The honor part is obvious. Mindy is my best friend and we have been through everything together over the past ten years. When she asked me to do this (actually I think she told me I was doing it but that is neither here nor there), I looked at her like a deer in headlights. Maid of honor is definitely not one of those roles I ever imagined myself in one day. I have now realized what an incredible experience this will be. It is one of those things I would like to someday put on my resume. I imagine future conversations would go something like this: “I look familiar? Perhaps you have seen some of my work as Mindy’s Maid of Honor back in ’06?”

The maid part has also become obvious. The engagement party is the least of my worries as there are apparently many duties the day of the event. I have been informed I will be holding flowers, both mine and hers and I will also be pulling up a bustle to the train of a dress. Before last night I didn’t even know what a bustle was and now I will be attaching one. This position has become very educational for me as you can see. I will also be wearing a dress of my own for the event. For those of you who don’t know me very well, I haven’t worn a dress since my high school prom so this should be quite a sight. She did promise me I wouldn’t look like a complete moron. However, I think I should break the news to her that I will look like a moron in any dress she chooses.

Mindy thanks for choosing me to be your maid of honor. I know in some cultures (like Cleveland’s east suburbs) women fight to their death for this position. I also want you to know I would not put a dress on for just anyone.

No comments: