Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Phat Tuesday

A couple years ago I was sitting in Ruby Tuesdays when my friend turned to me and did a play on the famous Friday’s commercial by saying: “In here, it’s always Tuesday.” Since I have moved to Cleveland, I have realized there is nothing wrong with Tuesdays. Personally I love going out on Tuesday nights because there are so many great deals in Cleveland. Last night I frequented two of my favorite Tuesday night spots.

We started the evening off at the Winking Lizard with the thirty cent wings which are always complemented well with the huge beer selection available to satiate your palate. You can’t beat getting 40 wings for twelve dollars especially when you can get so many different flavors including our personal favorites: cajun, caribbean spice, spicy garlic, spicy bar-b-q and teriyaki all ordered in increments of five and ten washed down with a cold Stella Artois. There was one small problem last night when they got the Heineken and Stella taps mixed up and apparently Liz and I were the first ones to notice. Personally I think we should have gotten a free meal out of it. Think of all those poor people who left Winkling Lizard last night only to believe that Stella Artois tastes like Heineken. Oh the horror!

After Winkling Lizard we headed into Tremont for Taco Tuesday. Taco Tuesday used to be our Tuesday staple but too much of a good thing is just too much. Nonetheless for the cheapest and best-tasting tacos on the west side along with really cheap Mexican beer including my personal favorite, the Dos Equis Special Lager, you must try out Taco Tuesday. Lincoln Park Pub has been described as Dive Chic and I think that is the perfect descriptor. It's a little bit of everything. There are so many different tables of people there, which is what makes it so fun. Usually you have the men who just got off work with their suits on, the Cleveland women’s rugby team, the hippies from the Tremont area, those who came in to play darts vs. those who prefer Golden Tee vs. those who play pool, the acting and theatre crowd and the punk crowd. Mix all of these people together with a great jukebox, throw in Mexican food and beer in an Irish pub and you have a great Tuesday night on the near west side.

Another fun option for us on Tuesday nights is the Flying Fig Happy Hour which I have already talked about on this site. If you aren’t in the mood for a sports bar or an Irish pub and you want out of this world food for cheap Happy Hour prices you must try the Flying Fig. This is all I will say on this subject because I could go on and on about how everyone should try this Happy Hour at least once in their life.

There you have it. Never a boring Tuesday and so many reasons to not be stuck in front of the television watching American Idol on Tuesday nights. If anyone reading this has further insight on interesting and cheap hot spots on the west side, I would be extremely interested to learn more about things going on in my city.

No comments: