Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Random Sports Thoughts

I haven’t really talked about sports in awhile due to my vacation, so I thought I would throw around a couple of random thoughts.

I think it is par for the course Kellen Winslow suffered external and internal injuries on Sunday due to a motorcycle accident. This was the first pick the Browns ever made I was truly excited about and now his career is in jeopardy after playing a total of two games for the team. Good Luck Braylon Edwards you have a lot of first round demons to overcome for Cleveland.

I am enjoying the fact the Yankees are still below .500 and now have to maneuver their lineup to find some wins. I would love to see the Orioles, or even the Blue Jays, but most likely the Orioles, come out of the AL East this year. I am tired of the Red Sox and Yankees vying for the top spot.

Dan Gilbert really has his work cut out for him this off-season. This will be the busiest off-season the CAVS have ever had, or at least it should be. I personally like the rumor that LeBron James said he would want to play for Nate McMillan. McMillan has done an incredible job in Seattle this year along with a player I would love to see playing alongside James next year, Ray Allen. We will actually see how much power James has over the team this summer and how much power Gilbert is willing to give him.

I was not surprised to see how far Aaron Rodgers fell in the NFL draft. I am still in shock he was in the Green Room for the draft in the first place. With only six players invited to sit back there, it should have been obvious he was going to fall hard if San Francisco didn’t take him. Carnell Williams should have been in there to spare everyone a lot of embarrassment. Also I was curious to see what would have happened had Rodgers fallen past Green Bay and been on the board for Washington. All along, the Redskins claimed they liked Jason Campbell better than Alex Smith and Rogers, but I wonder what would have happened if they would have had to decide between Rodgers and Campbell. I guess we will never know.

Have you seen Stump the Schwab on ESPN? This guy is incredible. He sits there and answers sports questions as if he is reading out of an Almanac. I have never seen anything like it. I am looking forward to ESPN’s new show Teammates. It looks like the Newlywed Game for sports figures. I just hope Bob Eubanks won’t be on there using the word “whoopie”.

Something tells me the Oklahoma baseball coach who was forced to resign after describing one of his black players by saying “There’s no nigger in him” didn’t write his own resignation letter. It is ironic when people are so completely ignorant, or at least ignorant enough to make that comment to two different reporters at two different times, and then they can go on to use language like: “I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university. Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people.” Yeah, sure he wrote that statement.

No comments: