Thursday, May 05, 2005

Can I Really Be This Big of a Snob?

I went to look at an apartment last night and it had everything I wanted. Well, almost everything I wanted. First let me start with the pros of renting this place. The apartment is huge, almost 800 square feet for one person. It is the whole second floor of an old Ohio City home, so it has a lot of character including an old fireplace, a ton of woodwork and bay windows with benches. The landlord was a really cool, down to earth guy who doesn’t care about my impending credit problems. He has lived on this small street for over forty years, and he and his brothers own half the older homes on the street. As a matter of fact after I saw the place last night we all ended up going out for drinks. If that isn’t a good sign, I don’t know what is. Other positive things include the fact it has a free washer and dryer, security system, private off-street parking, a nice yard, central air conditioning, an old claw tub, a nice porch and the biggest thing of all: the rent. This place is so cheap. This place is so cheap I still can’t believe what I would be paying in rent to live in the area I want to live in with many of the amenities I wanted.

So what’s the problem? Well, it hasn’t been updated in over thirty years, so when you enter the front door it feels like you have traveled back to the seventies. Some of the things, such as the wallpaper are fixable, but there is one thing really holding me back on this deal. In the living room and dining room there is carpeting which really stands out. The carpet is in great shape--it just happens to be bright lime green. I don’t know if I could live with bright lime green carpeting. However, with all of the great things about this place I might have to suck it up and go with the green. I almost feel like I would be crazy to not jump at the chance to rent this place but right now I am going through a mild snobby moment. I know my other options in the area are half the size, more money, no washer or dryer, no central air, no yard and no off-street parking. I might just have to keep reading that last sentence over and over again every time I think of the carpeting. That should be enough to get me through this small quandary.

1 comment:

Marian Douglas-Ungaro said...

Negotiate, Sporty. Maybe you shouldn't let a carpet stop you from taking an apartment if it really suits you, but you could just ask the guy if he's willing to change it (or let you change it & take it off the rent) if you commit to renting. Then get any agreement in writing - before signing a lease. Don't apologize for your feelings - you're not a snob. Color is very powerful. The "right" color (for you) can make you feel better and the wrong one can make you feel sick. Cheers! Marian, http://marian.typepad.com