Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Origin Of Sportygrrl

People often ask me, Sportygrrl, how did you get your name? Ok, nobody has ever asked me this, but if they did, this is how I would answer them:

(Insert Bizarre Time Warp Music)

On the night of October 20th, 1975 my mother went into labor during Monday Night Football. Is this a surprise to anyone? From The Buffalo Bills website:
October 20, 1975 -- BILLS SUFFER FIRST LOSS OF SEASON
In a bizarre Monday night game at Rich Stadium, the N.Y. Giants handed the Bills their first loss of the season, 17-14. Many fans acted atrociously, taking off their clothes, getting involved in numerous brawls, and mugging for the national TV cameras.


I was born the next morning on October 21st 1975. This happened to fall on the same day as Game 6 of the World Series between the Cincinnati Reds and the Boston Red Sox. From Wikepedia:
October 21, 1975-Game 6 of the World Series. This game would go down as one of the greatest games not only in World Series and post-season history, but baseball history as well. In the bottom of the 12th inning Carlton Fisk took the second pitch and lifted a high drive down the left-field line. The ball struck the foul pole just above the Green Monster. In what has now become an iconic baseball film highlight, the NBC left-field game camera caught Fisk wildly waving his arms to his right after hitting the ball and watching its path while drifting down the first base line, as if he was trying to coax the ball to "stay fair." The ball indeed stayed fair and the Red Sox had tied the Series.

Let me also say that Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies of all-time. As I sat in the theatre watching this incredible film and this scene played out, I knew I was born for greatness, or at least to write a blog that 2-3 people would read a day:


With all the sports drama during this two-day period, I had to grow up to be a Sportygrrl. I had no choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Destined for Greatness: The Sportygrrl Story, tonight on Lifetime, starring Meredith Baxter as the Green Monster.

Hap E B Day!