Thursday, October 30, 2008

HOPE.

At an early age, my mom instilled in me how much politics can impact you emotionally. She would re-tell stories of the way she would feel when she listened to JFK speak before he was elected. I feel like I was there with her when she found out JFK had been shot, not because she told that story so many times, but because of the way she told it. I always wanted to feel that way about a candidate. To have a president inspire me. To give me someone to believe in the way she believed in JFK.

Today I drive home from work and listen to Barack Obama and get goosebumps. He inspires me. He speaks to me. I relate to what he has to say not just about the economy but on foreign policy and education. My hot button topic is education. I work in education. I work with college students everyday who can't afford to go to school. Obama is the only candidate who has asked these students to join him. To join him and give back to this country with community service and volunteering and he will help them go to school. This concept is not new, but it seems to have been forgotten. Nothing inspires me more and gives me more hope for this country than listening to Obama speak about everyone working together, and the opportunities this can lead to for the future. We as a people have to be accountable not only for ourselves, but we also have to be accountable for the future of our country. Take care of ourselves and take care of our neighbors and the country will do it's best to take care of you. Is this such a crazy concept? Is this such a new concept? Does "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?" sound familiar?(Barack Obama speaking in the rain in Pennsylvania on Tuesday, October 28th, even after the Mccain campaign canceled their Pennsylvania commitments due to the weather)

No comments: