Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Somewhat Coherent Post-Debate Thoughts.

I have a couple thoughts on the third and final Presidential Debate last night that I would like to share with anyone who may or may not care.

1. Is it me or would you just love to play poker with John McCain? The guy has the worst poker face in the history of mankind. I have never seen anyone so excited to throw out a zinger or know an answer in my life.

2. I found it amazing that Joe the Plumber was available for live interviews right after the debate last night. I also found it amazing he came up 26 times-mostly initiated by McCain. Say it ain't so Joe...the plumber, but I find the whole thing to be a little fishy.

3. I agree with the critics that Obama missed his opportunity to criticize Sarah Palin last night. The Obama/Biden campaign is obviously trying to make her a non-issue. I am sure the McCain/Palin camp wishes she actually was. How do Joe Lieberman and Mitt Romney sleep at night knowing they could have helped McCain win this election?

4. So why did Obama not criticize Palin when he had the opportunity? He may be trying to make her a non-issue, but my real hypothesis is that he only had nine minutes to answer the question. Where do you begin to criticize the credentials of this woman? Nine minutes just is not enough.

5. Hillary Clinton's post-debate interview. I enjoyed it better than the debate. Is it me or does she seem to get smarter everyday, or is that just what John McCain thinks? Afterall, he did praise her four different times last night, while trying to compare some of his plans to her ideals. Does this mean that all the Clinton bashers who support McCain now agree with Hillary? If this is the case, than they also agree Barack Obama will be the next president. Clinton said the phrase "President Obama" every chance she got in that interview. She is really taking one for the team.

6. Speaking of taking one for the team. This is going to seem crazy, but I do believe paying taxes is patriotic. I have no problem with paying taxes. I am lucky to live in a country that has given me a chance to excel with guaranteed government student loans, and to work in a field supported by the government. I think even if you make less than $250,000, you should put it on yourself to pay an extra 3%. Do it yourself on your own terms. Help America. I will consider this my patriotic tithe. Conservatives will say people like myself don't support this country or love this country because of my liberal (though actually pretty moderate) views. I disagree with that. While I may not be taxed 3% more, I guarantee you I will now begin to give an extra 3% of my salary a year to a non-profit that Barack Obama would support when he becomes president. Community Shares, I am talking to you.

7. I will admit McCain's zinger to Obama that he should have run four years ago if he wanted to run against Bush was a great move for his campaign. Not sure why he waited so long to use it, but maybe it's because McCain and Bush really aren't all that different. View for yourself:

Now view this:


You be the judge. To me they both have a pretty bad sense of direction when it comes to this country or leaving a room for that matter.

8. My last and final thought is this: Go Vote. No matter who you want to see win this election-vote! I think it was great when the moderator, Bob Schieffer mentioned the importance of voting at the end of the debate. We live in the greatest country in the world that gives you the honor and privilege to vote for your beliefs. Take advantage of that right.

No comments: