Tuesday, October 25, 2005

What They Really Mean

I got sucked into the Hurricane Wilma coverage on the Weather Channel this week. There are a couple reasons this storm was of particular interest to me. First of all, I used to live in Southwest Florida and I still know people in the area, so I felt personally vested in the coverage. The second reason is because I find the weather men and women who cover the storm to be hilarious.

The people who get stuck standing out in this weather create some great comedy for me. One of my personal favorites is the guy they keep going back to every 15 minutes for eight hours. In this particular case, the gentleman was in Fort Myers and he started out by saying, “As you can see no rain here, this area might get bypassed by the storm.” What he was really saying was, “This is the most boring gig I have ever had.” Cut to an hour later with him saying, “As you can see just a little rain here, I think the damage will be minimal.” However he really wanted to say, “How many more times can I keep saying the same thing over and over again?” Cut to three hours later with the guy hanging on to whatever he can find with his coat flapping in his face as palm trees fly by, “As you can see the wind is starting to pick up. It looks like the storm may indeed hit this area.” What he really meant by this is: “I am currently standing in the middle of a hurricane and if I remain calm I may eventually get an anchor position where I don’t have to stand out in this crappy weather anymore doing updates every 15 minutes for people who can clearly see what is going on behind me.”

I also like it when they try to create drama for us because that is just as funny. My favorite quote of the day was the weather correspondent who was clinging to a gate on a pier in the Keys during the middle of the storm when he said, “I am going to have to get off this gate because it does indeed look like it is going to blow off this pier.” Now it is easier to read into what he really meant. He was actually saying, “I am going to have to get off this gate because it does indeed look like it is going to blow off this pier.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best was Al Roker, who was actually blown down to the ground with someone holding his ankles. He was telling how someone had just asked him if we wanted his weight back. Great stupid footage.