Thursday, October 27, 2005

I Got Me A Library Card

Tuesday I walked into my neighborhood library and got a library card. I haven’t had a library card in 15 years and I forgot the magic and power of owning one. When she handed me the card I said, “So I can just borrow whatever I want and return it in three weeks?” She looked at me like I was from a different planet.

Because my library is located in an urban setting there are just as my cds as there are books which I found to be funny. Not quite as funny as the woman in front of me in line who was taking out twenty cds at a time. She practically cleaned out the hip hop section. I also grabbed a couple cds on my way out. It appears I was the first borrower of the Melissa Etheridge cd, Lucky. Go Figure.

Speaking of Melissa Etheridge…It appears there is a new spokeswoman for Olivia Cruise Lines. Yes, Sheryl Swoopes, the most dominant women’s basketball player of all time, has come out of the closet. I must admit I was initially shocked. Then I started thinking about the consequences behind this action and the reason for doing it. Apparently she has been with her partner for over eight years, so why do it now? I hate to say it, but my first thought was money. I started wondering if the CEO of Nike had something to do with this? Was he about to introduce the Nike Dyke Basketball Shoe? Then I found out today where the money was coming from. Olivia Cruise Lines has signed Swoopes on as a spokesperson. So here is the question I have to wonder to myself: Would she have done this without guaranteed money? Knowing she was most likely going to lose current marketing opportunities, did she wait until another opportunity came along to be honest with everyone? While, I am excited she did it, I can’t help but wonder if she did it for the right reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, that's what it takes. because now, there's a chance that people in the regular sporting world will shun her, since she's the first major sport athlete to come out while still playing. The pressure that'll be on her is ten times more intense than it is for anyone else in the WNBA.

If she can still be dominant, she's the greatest athlete ever. If not, she's still great.