Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Save A Lot Experiment of 2009

I am poor. I just moved out on my own-which is a blog entry all in itself-and now I am feeling the effects of self-sufficiency. So much so that it is time to make sacrifices. Sacrifices like going out and eating and drinking to my heart's content. If this is your first time to my blog, you should know: I like going out to eat and drink. This must now end at least for the moment, or the next two weeks as I begin my new experiment.

The other night I was in Save A Lot, and realized while the food may not be of the best quality, and there is a real lack of choices, the prices can not be beat. My mission if I choose to accept it is to live off only food from Save A Lot from this Sunday up until Super Bowl Sunday (February 1, 2009). To make the mission even a little more difficult, I am going to try and cook only healthy meals or at least something you would not be afraid to feed to a still-growing child. This means I am not going to live off of frozen pizzas and macaroni and cheese for the next two weeks. I am trying to think of it as Iron Chef America on a budget. Updates to follow!

In case you were wondering, they do have beer there, so don't worry about me in that department.

4 comments:

Shades of Pink said...

Good luck shopping at Save a Lot. You must like a challenge. I shopped there in the past and I'm not so sure you can find healthful things. Good luck! :P

Peter Speer said...

What if someone happens to give you a better beer? Can you drink that? Can you go out if invited, if, say, you were offered free beers?

MisterElle said...

Pete:
Oh yes. If I am invited somewhere and someone wants to treat-I am so there. Or say...if someone leaves me a good beer on my doorstep, I will surely drink it. I said I am poor, not dumb. ;)

Anonymous said...

Save-A-Lot's a lot like Trader Joe's (if Trader's Joes were a lot more like Aldi).