Friday, March 10, 2006

Red State. Blue Voter. I Tried.

Top Story From msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11759590/

Is anybody really surprised by this article? I remember Election Night 2004 and it still haunts me a little bit people didn’t see this coming. On this particular evening I found myself in the flats surrounded by a bunch of Republicans. It was scary but I felt cocky that evening. I felt sure of the election results so in a small way I wanted to be there. I wanted to see the look on their faces as the results flashed across the television. In the end though, I was the one who had to run out of the building. It was almost surreal to see people my age cheer for Bush after he won Florida. I looked around and felt like I saw my generation cheering against my own generation. I couldn’t believe it. I went home and sat glued in front of my television hoping against hope that it was all a big mistake. Surely Ohio would prevail as a blue state. It didn’t happen and today I look around and wonder how many of those people would have changed their votes if only they had known then what seemed so obvious to many of us.

I hate to say it but I feel if 9/11 would never have happened, Bush would not have won a second term. That day put so much fear into this country. Fear makes people do irrational things. His political life was saved that day and since then, so many lives have been lost. Perhaps his quote from August 2004 sums it up best:

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people and neither do we.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michele gets political. I'm in love.