Friday, August 08, 2008

Ohio University's Lottery Pick

When I went to Ohio University, the football team was the big joke on campus. They won only 20 games during my five year tenure in Athens Ohio and most of those wins came during my last two years there. As a matter of fact, when they beat a I-AA team in 1995 it was their first win in two years. The students were so excited they tore down the goal post and drank late into the night. Well they normally drank late into the night, but the goal post coming down was very exciting.

Nowadays things are different at Ohio University. The football team even played in a nationally-televised bowl game two years ago. There must be some luck in the Hocking River because the football players are not only winning on the field, they are also winning the lottery...literally.

This article was posted today on ESPN.com:

ATHENS, Ohio -- Most lottery winners, upon learning they've hit the jackpot, run to the store where they played their lucky numbers to make sure, then find the nearest state lottery commission office to place a claim on their prize. Michael Eynon did all of those things. And then he went to football practice.

Eynon, a senior offensive lineman at Ohio University, matched five numbers in Tuesday's multi-state Mega Millions drawing on the ticket he bought at a Shop Mart in Athens -- good for $250,000 before taxes, the Columbus Dispatch reported.


"It hasn't settled in yet," he said, according to the report. "I've been out throwing footballs, and it's still the same routine."

The odds of matching five numbers, excluding the Mega Ball, were 1 in 3,904,701. Had Eynon matched the Mega Ball as well, he would have won the $34 million grand prize, according to the report.

"Everyone was like, 'Dude, you were one number off,' " Eynon said, according to the newspaper. "I was like, 'I'm satisfied.' This is awesome either way."

Instead of $34 million, Eynon will settle for $172,500 after federal and state taxes. According to the Dispatch, the 22-year-old accounting major from Westlake plans to donate some money to his church, give some to his family and invest the rest.

Ohio U. athletic spokesman Jason Corriher said the winnings will not affect Eynon's NCAA eligibility, according to the report.

"I've been in this business for about 10 years and I cannot remember ever hearing about a student-athlete winning a portion of the lottery," Corriher said, the newspaper reported. "It's pretty unheard of, I think."

3 comments:

ellie said...

I need you to fly to San Diego and give me football lessons. I'm moving to Boise Idaho and must become a Broncos fan, but I don't understand the game. You don't understand, I neeeeed you! I will buy you wings at my favorite wings place!

MisterElle said...

Oh yes...I can help you! Love Boise State's field. I hope you are a fan of blue! :)

Amy said...

Hey there . . . Sorry to freak you out at the Lizard yesterday!

I know Greg gave you the URL for the Cleveland OU alumni site, but here it is again:

www.clevelandbobcats.com


Info about the OU-OSU game watch is on the calendar.

We're also going to have game watch parties for the two games that will be on ESPN2 in October, but I don't have the dates/locations firmed up yet.